Sunday, August 18, 2013

When She Grows Up

The other day my daughter randomly said to me, "Wanna know what I want to be when I grow up?"

I answered with a casual, "Sure, I'd love to!" but inside my head I was waving pompoms! I was all YES! It's Happening! She's being creative without any prompting! She's going to ace school and have no issues. Ever! I'm doing something right! Heck, I must be doing EVERYTHING right!"

And then she continued, "I want to be a Mommy," and I felt an instant deflate. Seriously? That's not creative. And anyway, it's lame.

"Why do you want to be a Mommy?" I challenged. Her face lit up, "When I'm a Mommy I can drive a car, go shopping by myself, fold laundry, touch the oven, and take a shower!"

I still was not impressed.

"Why else do you want to be a Mommy? What is your favorite thing about mommies?"

"Well, maybe I can go on the computer, and I can wash dishes, and I can talk on the phone, and I can change the baby's diaper, and feed the baby, and buy stuff on the computer."

"Those things are fun?" I asked.

"YOU always like to do EVERYTHING that a Mommy does, right? So me too when I'm a Mommy."

And then my pompoms were back in action. With a side of being ashamed of my initial (and thankfully quiet) reaction to her admission.

'Cause you know what? I really am doing it right. She wants to be a Mommy and wash dishes, do laundry, and chauffeur the kids around. She is excited about making dinner and buying groceries. And that's because she sees me do it with a smile. (Most of the time.)

Being a Mommy is NOT LAME. Shame on me.

I'm not perfect and I certainly have my moments. But that day I realized that I am her hero and she is watching every single thing I'm doing. When I run our home with a smile on our face and invest myself in the moment, in being proud of who I am and what I do, I am teaching her that there IS beauty and wonder in being a mother. And it's not all about the giggles and perfectly clean houses and moms in pearls and heels in the magazine ads. It's about being present.

I am proud that I am a mother. I want my daughter to be proud of the very same thing. And I am so very grateful that she can absorb everything she witnesses in this house and use it to think and plan creatively for her future.

It is also worth mentioning that she continued on with, "And I could wear whatever I want when I'm a Mommy. Like sparkly purple dresses and sparkly pink shoes with flowers that you didn't buy me."

1 comment:

  1. She is just too cute! "Like sparkly purple dresses and sparkly pink shoes with flowers that you didn't buy me." I'm still laughing.

    ReplyDelete